Te pira a Te Poari Hapori o Bunnythorpe whānui Greater Bunnythorpe Community Board appeal
Decision on appeal
At its meeting on 20 July 2023, the Commission decided not to uphold the appeal. You can read the decision here:
Determination - Greater Bunnythorpe Community Board appeal 20 July 2023 type: pdf, size: 402 KB
The Commission made three recommendations as part of its decision. These are:
- That the Council liaise with the Bunnythorpe community, Ngāti Kauwhata and Rangitāne o Manawatū to establish a formal Bunnythorpe Community Committee
- That the Council undertake a village master-planning exercise with the Bunnythorpe community
- That the Council encourage KiwiRail, Waka Kotahi and NZ Post to liaise with the Bunnythorpe community to address the specific issues of the community relating to each organisation
Meetings with key stakeholders
In December 2022, and in April-May 2023, the Commission met with key stakeholders to:
- Confirm its understanding of the context and matters that led to the Community Board proposal and subsequently to the appeal;
- Consider if, and if so, how, the Greater Bunnythorpe community is different to other communities in Palmerston North City; and
- Consider whether the challenges outlined by the Greater Bunnythorpe community are best supported through the creation of a community board for the area.
Request for further information
The Commission requested, and received, further information from the appellant and Palmerston North City Council relating to the Bunnythorpe community and the proposal to establish a community board.
In June 2021 electors within the Bunnythorpe area proposed to Palmerston North City Council that a Greater Bunnythorpe Community Board be established. The proposal was made in accordance with Schedule 6, Local Government Act 2002.
On 4 August 2021, Palmerston North City Council considered the proposal, and it was declined.
In December 2021, the Local Government Commission received an appeal against the decision of Palmerston North City Council to decline to establish a Greater Bunnythorpe Community Board.
A copy of the proposal, minutes of the Palmerston North City Council meeting of 4 August 2021 and the appeal can be found below:
- Greater Bunnythorpe Community Board Appeal type: pdf, size: 212 KB
- Greater Bunnythorpe Community Board Proposal June 2021 type: pdf, size: 2.1 MB
- Palmerston North City Council Minutes 4 August 2021 type: pdf, size: 129 KB